Sunday, March 14, 2010

Wet Dreams

...Continued

Alluring motion calms me as I close my eyes and drift away into my consciousness. I must have drifted further deep within and physically as well as I am startled awake by large droplets falling onto my face. I open my eyes to see dark clouds begin to cover the moon, my source of light.

An insistent crack of lightening reveals for me the direction in which I must frantically swim. The wind is picking up and the waves are growing in size dramatically. I choke on water as a wave hits my boys and throws me back. I'm more prepared the next time and dive over the crest and swim through. I am making quick progress using this method, my adrenaline level rising to wash away any previous sense of relaxation. I begin to panic as I am unsure if I am headed for the right spot. There are sharp protruding rocks to the right of the beach, near the cliff. I am caught in the undertow as soon as I dive under another crest. I know I am nearing the shore as I am quickly slammed to the bottom of the sea floor. Sharp rocks cut my hands as I shield my head. I am twisted and lose all sense of direction. 'What is up? What is down?' I frantically question in my screaming thoughts, I am torn in circles as another large wave passes. Everything goes black.

I wake up washed up on the white sand glowing by the light of the moon. Trying to understand what had just happened. I pushed myself off my face and heave up water. I touch the side of my throbbing head and pull my hard away to show dark liquid on my finger tips. I realize that it was not only water but blood was running into my mouth. Trying to catch my breath, I attempt to stand. I fall over onto my back, blinking up at the stars who betrayed me. I rest a while and am finally able to walk up the beach, disoriented. I feel the soft sand turn to larger, smooth stones. Grass reaches high through the empty space between them. The wind whips my wet hair into my face as I try to find the path. I stumble over a grave marker partially covered in sand. Slowly kneeling down, curiosity overtakes my urgency to return and wipe the sand. Engraved on the simple headstone, is my name.

1 comment: